Pulseaudio not restarting after crash

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Oct 9 18:42:04 UTC 2007

On Tue, 09.10.07 17:37, Hikaru Amano (kagesenshi.87 at gmail.com) wrote:

Hi!

> if the pulseaudio daemon crashed, it doesnt restart itself .. and it
> need to be manually restarted ... It would be nice to have it restarts
> after crash because normal users wont know how to restart it ..

Hmm, but why did PA crash in the first place? I hope you already filed
a bug?

PA is right now started trhough a compatibility script called "esd"
form gnome-session. So, while gnome-session thinks it starts esd it
actually starts PulseAudio. And gnome-session doesn't restart esd by
default. It's more a bug in esd then in PA.

> plus .. if the folder /tmp/pulse-username exist, pulseaudio refuses to
> start and returns
>
> E: pid.c: Daemon already running.
> E: main.c: pa_pid_file_create() failed.

If that directory has the proper access modes PA will reuse it and
shouldn't fail restarting.

Is it possible you have some kind of permission problem here?

> but the daemon is not running so I had to delete the folder manually ..
>
> btw.. where does the autostart script pulseaudio daemon located?? I
> couldnt find it .. (I wanted to add a simple while loop hack for
> restarting the daemon for my own use) ..

Check gnome-session, look for the esd startup code (as mentioned above).

Lennart