Merging totem and totem-xine

Stewart Adam s.adam at diffingo.com
Wed Oct 10 01:00:10 UTC 2007

> On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 17:32:12 -0400
> Stewart Adam <s.adam at diffingo.com> wrote:
>
> > What do you think of a simple dialog box like this?
> >
> > |-------------------------- Totem engine --------------------------|
> > | Please select the engine you would like to use for totem below:  |
> > |                                                                  |
> > |           |^ gstreamer                                           |
> > |           |  xine                                                |
> > |                                                                  |
> > |                                        [ OK ]   [ Cancel ]       |
> > |__________________________________________________________________|
>
> What does that actually mean to a user?  How do you explain what
> "gstreamer" is vs "xine"?  When do you propose you through this
> mysterious question at the user?
This is what I was thinking of adding "Totem Backend" to Preferences,
that dialog would be it. If we need a quick description, that can be
done too underneath the current selection:

"The gstreamer backend is the Fedora default and uses gstreamer codecs
to play multimedia files."

"The xine backend uses the xine codecs to play multimedia files. The
xine backend, among other things, support DVD menus."

Stewart