samba license change

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Oct 10 11:30:48 UTC 2007

Andrew Bartlett <abartlet <at> samba.org> writes:
> The bit that bothers me is that not only was Samba for the longest time
> mentioned in most GPLv3 news articles, we asked if anybody had a reason
> not to change our licence, and nobody gave a compelling reason.

There definitely have been complaints from the KDE camp, both on public news
sites like Slashdot and on KDE developer blogs.

See, the KDE project can't just move to GPLv3, most of their code is actually
LGPL (which allows converting to any GPLv2+) or GPLv2+ already, but Qt is GPLv2
only. So KDE can't do anything without Trolltech, and Trolltech is still in
the "evaluating their options" phase.

Also be aware that if the problem gets solved, it will be solved only for KDE
4, KDE 3 relies on Qt 3 which is not supported by Trolltech anymore, so the
chances for that to change its license are essentially nil.

        Kevin Kofler