acpid and logging

Zdenek Prikryl zprikryl at redhat.com
Wed Oct 10 14:42:11 UTC 2007

Steve Grubb napsal(a):
> I do not see anything in that bug that tells how it damages or makes syslog
> unusable. I find that it floods syslog, but its not unreadable.

By unreadable I meant, that /var/log/messages is full of acpid messages. And it
is hard to find relevant information if you have any other problem.

>> So there are two options:
>> 1. Get back to old style logging (but upstream does not want to)
>> 2. In /etc/rsyslog.conf append a filter for acpid, so rsyslog will be
>> logging messages form acpid in separate file.
>
> There's a third option, which I've asked upstream about, make some of these
> messages DEBUG and only log abnormal messages at the higher syslog
> priorities. IOW, not all messages are of the same importance. Seriously, my
> battery being full of power or me connecting to AC power is not a syslog
> worthy or any log worthy event unless I'm debugging a problem.

That could be a solution too.

> Upstream is of the opinion that I'm the only person seeing a high rate of
> events and doesn't really want to fix it unless others report similar
> problems. Am I the only one?

Definitely, you are not only one with this problem. So I'll write an email to
upstream and I'll suggest them a solution based on priorities too.

Zdenek