yum-updatesd in F8?

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 10 15:13:54 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 17:10 +0200, Lubomir Kundrak wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 10:59 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > > Now do a reasonable F-7 desktop installation, and then see if it would
> > > be less than 10 seconds even if you have a moderately fast internet
> > > connection. And imaging that you are a newbie and have no idea what
> > > blocks what and how long would it take, and whether it will ever
> > > unblock.
> > >

> > If the transaction is being performed what alternative do you have?
>
> Maybe move all the logic to updatesd and let it organize thing in
> non-conflicting way? If a transaction is in progress while user clicks
> on update icon, terminate the transaction and let pirut do its business,
> and restart the transaction when pirut no longer needs access to
> database?

So you want to exit a transaction in mid-swing and what? Hope that the
rpmdb is in a quasi-workable state? It's not like a db commit, we're
putting new data on disk, there's no nice and good way to just pause and
do something else.

>  And if user selects to update packages, or list updates or
> whatever, let updatesd enqueue that and do that after restarting the
> former transaction, and while it is being done, inform about the
> progress via dbus?

but the rpmdb is in an inconsistent state at this point - who knows what
results we'll end up with. Not just within updating packages but also
within actually executing programs.

-sv