samba license change

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Oct 10 16:27:06 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell <at> gmail.com> writes:
> Doesn't everyone who has ever contributed code have to agree to a change
> unless it had the "gplv2 or newer" clause to begin with - unless they
> also turned over ownership of the copyright to someone else?

Trolltech makes sure all contributions are under terms which allow them to
grant any license, their dual license model wouldn't work otherwise. So as far
as Qt is concerned, it all depends on Trolltech and only Trolltech.

The subset of KDE apps which is also using the GPLv2 is another story, but
similarly to how GNOME's gnome-vfs works, kio_smb is also a separate process as
far as I can tell, so it's probably not necessary to get every single KDE app
relicensed to avoid a mess. But IANAL.

        Kevin Kofler