F9: system wide proxy settings at install

Ian Thurlbeck ian at stams.strath.ac.uk
Thu Oct 11 09:22:15 UTC 2007

Hi

I was having some issues with firefox on F8t3 today, so I moved
aside my .mozilla directory to re-generate the default setup.
However, firefox wouldn't restart because it's looking for updates or
something and I'm behind a mandatory web proxy/cache.

Copying in my old prefs.js file gets me running again.

I can't tell you how many times I have to set application
specific settings to get past the proxy - wget, php pear, yum, firefox (!),
rkhunter, extra Fedora software during install, etc, etc.

For FC9, how about setting a proxy early in the installer and using this
for all web-using applications ?

I appreciate there are many outstanding requests/bug reports to do with
proxies, so I'm just trying to raise its profile a bit.

Many thanks

Ian
--
Ian Thurlbeck                http://www.stams.strath.ac.uk/
Statistics and Modelling Science, University of Strathclyde