Retiring procinfo

Steven R. Ringwald asric at asric.com
Thu Oct 11 11:38:44 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-devel-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:fedora-devel-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Tomáš Smetana
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2007 2:19 AM
To: fedora-devel-list at redhat.com
Subject: Retiring procinfo

Hello,
  I would like to retire the procinfo package because:

- latest upstream release in 2001
- nobody seems to be actually using it -- it has probably never worked
on 64-bit architectures, under certain circumstances it crashed even on
i386 but I have no bugreport mentioning that (found it myself when
solving the 64-bit problem)

In any case I'd rather ask...  Any objections?

--
I use procinfo all the time, on PPC32, Intel64, and Intel32 machines (all running F7). In the past, I have used it on AMD64 machines running FC5. I am not sure if there is anything else out there that fits the niche that this handy little application does, especially if you are monitoring interrupt usage. I have never had procinfo *crash*, though I have had it display unexpected results in the past. I would vote against removing it, but I am just one user, and could probably get by running a script across /proc/interrupts.

My $0.02.

Steve