CDs DVDs or netboot. Oh my!

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Oct 11 15:19:57 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 11:15 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 20:51 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > History: Up until Fedora 7 all RH family products had an install CD that
> > people could download, stick in their drive and install a minimal set of
> > packages or at least specify a method to install from.
> >
> > Problem: As of Fedora 7 (and soon with Fedora 8) they cannot do this.
> > The installable live cd can install but not in the traditional sense of
> > what people are used to.  It has no package selection and cannot upgrade.
>
> I'm not sure why you shouldn't be able to use anaconda on the live image
> to do an upgrade of an existing Fedora OS. E.g. downloading packages
> from the network or media [1] as needed.

The main thing missing is a nice way of launching anaconda to do this
(and prompting for where to get the bits from).  Beyond that, the code
is there and works.  Also for doing a "regular" install and not just
copying the live image.

> As for "no package selection during install" on the live cd; that's just
> a red herring - you can easily do this post-install. Most people just
> don't notice it. Ideally the live cd installer could ask you "Do you
> want to install other packages too?" and then use the network / media to
> do this.

Mostly a matter of round 'tuits to just integrate the couple of pieces
needed.  All the actual hard code is there, just doing it hasn't been
high on the priority list

Jeremy