better install experience

Szabolcs Szakacsits szaka at ntfs-3g.org
Thu Oct 11 20:46:23 UTC 2007

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 09:47:27PM +0300, Szabolcs Szakacsits wrote:
>
>  > As far as I know, but please correct me if I'm wrong, Dave Jones is
>  > (apparently was?) even paid to do this. So, some reply like "thanks, I'll
>  > take a quick look or forwarded it to X.Y" would have been appreciated.
>  >
>  > So, why shouldn't one be surprised when a maintainer doesn't reply to bug
>  > reports he is responsible for? Please tell us, I'm really interested.
>
> I apologise for not replying. I get crazy amounts of mail, and sometimes
> stuff falls through the cracks.  A grep for your name in my mboxes from
> this year doesn't have any hits, so its possible I even didn't get it
> somehow ?

It was last year:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------->
 Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 02:00:52 +0300 (MET DST)
 From: Szakacsits Szabolcs <szaka at sienet.hu>
 To: Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com>
 Subject: Re: ntfs kernel module

 [...]

 > the kernel driver is "safer".

 I'm not sure. It's true that its functionality is very limited (ntfs-3g
 also supports read-only mounts of course) but

        - unlike ntfs-3g, the kernel driver isn't quality tested

        - I've fixed many problems in the NTFS code base which could also
          exist in the kernel driver. One of the most serious bugs I
          remember was freeing memory in truncate() which could be modified
          later on (random memory corruptions).

  [...]

Regards,
	    Szaka