The gstreamer third way

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri Oct 12 10:26:35 UTC 2007

> Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot <at> laposte.net> writes:
>> Le jeudi 11 octobre 2007 à 19:12 +0000, Kevin Kofler a écrit :
>>> Yet third-party repositories are happily distributing proprietary
> kmod-nvidia
>>> modules linked against the GPLv2 kernel, which isn't any more legal than
>>> distributing a GPLv2 kio_smb linked against a GPLv3 Samba would be.
>> Last I checked they're not distributing both kmod-nvidia and kernels in
>> the same repo
>
> They wouldn't be shipping Samba in the third-party repo either.

So I didn't get the objection to the original proposal.

 - Fedora just sticks with the perfectly valid last GPL2 version for
now, links KDE3 stuff against it as usual and has nothing to do with the
GPL3 version until there is a better situation

 - That is the end of the story for the typical case.  When KDE4 comes
or there is some other better resolution that allows it, Fedora just
starts using the GPL3 samba libs and goes on in a good clean way.

 - Additionally, completely externally, some other repo might offer a
standalone GPL3 samba libs package that has the same soname that
endusers might choose to use to replace Fedora's GPL2 library.  That's
up to them and the user's problem that his combined system may not be
redistributable if he goes down that path.

If I understood it, this does not violate any terms or intention of the
terms and is nice and clean.

-Andy