gethostby* users

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Sat Oct 13 15:03:11 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-13 at 05:20 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Richi Plana <myfedora <at> richip.dhs.org> writes:
> > I'm just worrying about the different platforms these software are
> > expected to run on. According to gethostbyname(3), the function conforms
> > to POSIX as well as 4.3BSD so certain platforms might not have support
> > for getaddrinfo(). What's the proper way of addressing these?
> > Preprocessor directives?
>
> Ideally they'd just drop support for the obsolete systems which don't have
> getaddrinfo. Even winsock implements it since XP. And of course all current
> POSIX-compliant systems have it as it's part of POSIX.1-2001.

Sorry but this is not the Linux kernel, many packages don't want to drop
support for older systems, and given the differences in behavior between
getaddrinfo and gethostby* it is not really advisable in all situations
to replace these functions blindly, upstream approval is certainly
important.

Simo.