gethostby* users

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 01:50:02 UTC 2007

David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-10-13 at 19:46 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Running MimeDefang is a good example.
>
> RFC3464 MIME bounces were a better example, although I still don't
> really see the point in them. Probably worth implementing though, just
> for completeness.
>
> A brief look at MimeDefang doesn't seem to show up anything it can do
> which Exim can't, with its built-in interfaces to SpamAssassin, ClamAV,
> etc.
>
> Did I miss something?

These slides give the whole story but the big things are that you can do
anything you want by writing a small amount of perl code, the scanning
processes don't run under the same uid as the mailer, and it is very
efficient. Most other approaches start a scanner process for each
message, wasting a lot of time, or tie it to a mailer process for its
entire run, wasting a lot of memory or limiting the number of mailers
you can be running.

http://www.mimedefang.org/static/mimedefang-lisa04.pdf?PHPSESSID=5aa480195a2bef83bcc79a537c94808c

Sendmail runs multiple processes that connect to a milter for each
operation needed (slide 16).  MimeDefang provides a milter socket and
multiplexes the connections to some number of perl processes that do the
work (slide 31).  So, you don't have to start a process for each run and
you can run many more sendmail processes than perl/mimedefang processes
since sendmail connects for each operation and mimedefang connects the
job to an available, already running process to do the work.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com