CDs DVDs or netboot. Oh my!

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Sun Oct 14 19:34:06 UTC 2007

Benny Amorsen wrote:

> DM> I.e. on the simple end, would be turning the above process into an
> DM> easy to use GUI. On the more complex end, you could do something
> DM> like using grub2's loopback feature and modifications to the
> DM> install DVD's initramfs, to support something more like what you
> DM> were suggesting.
>
> How about someone simply making a Fedora Everything spin for USB keys,
> and share that with bittorrent? Anyone up for it?

As the other responder mentioned, I'm assuming you don't really mean
Everything (much as I was one of the longest hold-outs of keeping and
using Everything installs).

But what I do think makes sense, is to have a LiveDVD spin that matches
doing a * install of what is on the traditional install DVD spin.  And
having a simple well advertised method for LiveCD-install users who have
net access to upgrade to either that package set, or the 'defaults'
package set from the traditional install DVD.  I.e. a button that says -
change my system package set from the defaults that were chosen due to
700MB livecd iso space constraint, to the package set from defaults that
the smart fedora developers chose in a non 700MB space constrained
situation.

> Not a Live image, but a good old-fashioned installation image.

This is what I was discussing in part, and if I'm not mistaken, does
require at least a bit of work to get working.  Certainly using the grub
loopback feature is probably overkill since replicating the kernel and
initrd in a usbstick situation is not a big deal.  But you do then still
need to put smarts into the initramfs to deal with the fact that it may
be looking for an iso on a vfat usbstick.  Not difficult by any means,
but definitely a bit of work.

In general I agree that what you are asking for is worth doing for F9,
and for F8 perhaps via tools that are available online.

-dmc