Fedora caching suggestion

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Tue Oct 16 20:20:05 UTC 2007

Mark wrote:
> 2007/10/16, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>:
>> On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 04:50:56PM +0200, Mark wrote:
>>> I've followed the discussion about readahead and it got disabled for
>>> Fedora 8 (it wasn't benefiting at all (at least not for me)). Now i
>>> wonder if it would be possible to pre cache the "all time using"
>>> programs? With "all time using" i mean all the programs that are gonna
>>> be started anyway and that are highly likely to be started. for gnome
>>> it would be at least the following:
>> Readahead can do that. And as you noted, it doesn't help much.
>
> Well, readahead didn't seem to do a good job at it.. i wasn't noticing
> any changes with all the echo icons cached in the menu.. it still
> looked like the icons still had to be loaded (they didn't appear any
> faster at all and all icons where in the readahead list).

I have a hunch what you are describing might be the result of the menu
stuff getting pushed out of cache.  Certainly the idea to pin/weight
things like the menu stuff in cache must have been discussed before,
though I couldn't immediately find such a thread via google.  I have
vague memories of being annoyed by slow menus and googling and
discovering that windows provides a method to tag some stuff in cache as
more important, and thus less likely to be pushed out of cache.

-dmc