Summary - Broken dependencies in Fedora 7 + Test Updates - 2007-10-16

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Tue Oct 16 23:38:49 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 01:31 +0200, Denis Leroy wrote:
> >     extras-orphan AT fedoraproject.org
> >         ktrack - 0.3.0-15.rc1.fc6.i386
> >         ktrack - 0.3.0-15.rc1.fc6.ppc
> >         ktrack - 0.3.0-15.rc1.fc6.x86_64
>
> Caused by my hamlib update, but ktrack is an orphaned package, and I'm
> not interested in maintaining it. What's the way to go here ?
> May I do a one-time rebuild of ktrack for F-7 only ?

As an orphaned package I think it's best to remove it from the repos
entirely. It has no active maintainer in Fedora and according to their
website, upstream seems to have died more than one year ago.

However, if you want to temporarily take ownership of it just to push an
updated build, please be aware that a rebuild against new libraries can
sometimes cause weird and crazy bugs to arise from the updated libs,
depending on API/ABI usage and such, especially if the code depends on
various quirks or tweaks in the library which have since been fixed or
removed.
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
  DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479