Summary - Broken dependencies in Fedora 7 + Test Updates - 2007-10-16

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 00:22:05 UTC 2007

On 10/16/07, Denis Leroy <denis at poolshark.org> wrote:
> There's a risk yes, but it's easy enough to test I think. If the app
> seems healthy, I'd go ahead and do a rebuild so that I least we don't
> break the updates of people who have ktrack already installed. Removing
> it from the repo wouldn't solve their problem.

Gee that sounds suspiciously like you're offering to maintain this package.

I don't think just one-off rebuilding it "solves" the problem either.

What we really really need in these sorts of situation is have
client-side notice that a package has been orphaned/expired via the
package management tools, letting all users of that package know via
their repository aware tools that the package is orphaned/removed and
will no longer be receiving updates unless a maintainer shows up. At
which point the users can choose to uninstall the package or perhaps
step up and offer to be the maintainer of it.  I think users of
orphaned packages deserve a chance to state an interest in maintaining
packages when they get orphaned/removed. If we are only announcing
orphaned status in channels that other current contributors are
watching we are sacrificing an opportunity to add contributors to
spread the workload around.

-jef"Of course it'd help if we had a mentored probational contributor
period for users who want to take over orphaned packages in lieu of
the standard package submission review/sponsorship process"spaleta