Request for Comments: Proposed changes to Fedora development cycle

Adam Tkac atkac at redhat.com
Wed Oct 17 11:24:09 UTC 2007

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 05:05:51PM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> As for the tagging request avoiding people braking things late in the game:
> 1) we don't need barriers, we need to educate people

Definitely. All Fedora people are intelligent

> 2) if someone really wants to get an update in he will most likely
>    succeed as he knows his package best and can probably convince rel-eng
>    of the necessity of the update.

I think not needed. Early branching should solve this problem. Only bugfixing will be done in CVS and maintainer knows what is needed.

> So all in all:
> -calling it alpha / beta / release candidate instead of test# +1
> -no freeze for alpha +1
> -early branching (I would say a week for the RC) +1

Better will be create separate branch immediately after alpha release so development will be done continually (in devel branch).

> -making builds in the release branch goto updates-testing after
>  branching -1 (esp combined with early branching)

Yes, it's really annoying

Adam