Deploying noarch builds to specific arch's

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Wed Oct 17 14:59:42 UTC 2007

Deepak Bhole writes:
 > * Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> [2007-10-17 10:25]:
 > > On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:07:49 -0400
 > > Deepak Bhole <dbhole at redhat.com> wrote:
 > >
 > > > The problem is that IcedTea is only available on x86/x86_64. Since my
 > > > package is noarch, koji randomly distributes it between
 > > > ppc/x86/x86_64, and when it goes to ppc, the build fails.
 > > >
 > > > While IcedTea is not a strong requirement for checkstyle, this problem
 > > > will be encountered by any package that is to be built with IcedTea..
 > >
 > > ExclusiveArch: i386 x86_64  in the spec, with loud comments about the
 > > ExclusiveArch being there to match the arches where IcedTea is
 > > available, and needs to be updated when IcedTea hits more arches.
 > >

 > But that would create arch specific packages, which would not get
 > shipped on ppc. Packages built with icedtea can run on ppc with gcj in
 > interpreted mode.

Indeed.  As you said on IRC: it is acceptable Fedora policy to build
noarch with icedtea and ship on all archs.  However, although the
policy allows this, the buildsystem does not.

I suggest that we adjust Fedora policy to match what the build system
is capable of.

Andrew.

--
Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, UK
Registered in England and Wales No. 3798903