Deploying noarch builds to specific arch's

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Wed Oct 17 15:13:53 UTC 2007

Caolan McNamara writes:

 > On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 16:03 +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
 > > Andrew Haley writes:
 > >
 > >  > It is *vital* that all packages built with IcedTea are built with
 > >  > -target 1.5.  Otherwise, as you say, people won't be able to run
 > >  > with most current VMs.  If this isn't current Fedora policy, it
 > >  > really needs to be.
 > >
 > > A thought: perhaps we can have a sript in the buildsystem or in RPM
 > > that checks this.
 >
 > Or perhaps tweak our icedtea to just default to targeting 1.5 without
 > the use of -target ? Seems more fool-proof.

Perhaps, but it is a major deviation from the way OpenJDK behaves,
making us even more of a local fork.  I don't think we really want to
diverge on something as basic as this.

 > I know I stumbled into the problem a few weeks ago, perhaps I missed
 > mails about this before when on vacation.

As Jesse says, it should be that "they're all built with gcj until
such time as we have IcedTea everywhere."  It's the only sensible way
to proceed.

Andrew.

--
Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, UK
Registered in England and Wales No. 3798903