rpm and post script install/run order question (texlive) [2]

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Fri Oct 19 08:43:52 UTC 2007

On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 05:59:28PM +0200, Phil Knirsch wrote:

> Well, from looking at the dependencies you listed here the dependency tree
> would look like this:
>

> updmap-sys    texconfig-sys    C
>   /|\             /|\
>    |               |
>            E       B
>           /|\
>           /|\

I don't really understand the diagram...

But I'd like to precise that updmap-sys and texconfig-sys are part of
the package A.

> So effectively this means that on the 1st level of the tree updmap-sys,
> texconfig-sys and C can be ordered in any way as well as on the 2nd level E
> and B as they have no cross and/or chained dependencies.

That's annoying...

> So to answer your questions:
>
> 1) Can C be installed prior to sA being called: No, as the dependency chain
> clearly require B, C and D and therefore those will be installed prior to
> A.

Maybe I wasn't clear, but sA is in A...

> 2) Will the various yum install [A|E|B] give the same script run orders?
> Thats not 100% guaranteed as the installation order of E and B as well as
> the installation of updmap-sys, texconfig-sys and C are not fixed by any
> requires, so using a subset of packages to install first (e.g. only
> updmap-sys, texconfig-sys and C) might result in a different order for
> those packages than using a "full" install with A.

Once again, updmap-sys and texconfig-sys are in A...

> There might be some code inside rpm that could possibly have updmap-sys,
> texconfig-sys and C be installed in the same order despite having not
> dependencies between each other, but from an algorithmical point of view
> you can't and shouldn't rely on it.

It is clearly something that shouldn't be done.

> Or to put it differently: If you need those packages to be installed in a
> specific order then just use Requires.

The issue is that the postscript should only be run after all are
installed.

> On the other hand, if those are "soft" requires then things get tricky ,
> e.g. IF updmap-sys, texconfig-sys and C get installed then C needs to be
> installed after updmap-sys and/or texconfig-sys. I remember vaguely that
> such "soft" requires (which don't pull in packages automatically but which
> will be honored in case it is already in the transaction) were either
> planed or even already put into rpm, but Panu/JBJ can probably tell you a
> lot more in detail about that.

Maybe this could be useful.

--
Pat