Mass Branching for F-8 (round 2)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Sat Oct 20 13:52:12 UTC 2007

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 23:13:26 -0400
Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:

> We're ready to try the branching again.  CVS will be disabled for
> commits in a few moments.  I will reply when the branching is done.

Just an update on this.

The branching is going well, it just takes a long time to branch all of
our packages.  We did this alphabetically (sort style) and have made it
well into the perl packages.  I expect the rest of the packages to take
a few more hours yet.

I'm going to keep an eye on it as best as possible, but it is my
weekend and I'll be doing a lot of house work so there may be a slight
lag between when it finishes and when I open CVS back up.  No more than
an hour or so though.

This was our first trial of using pkgdb completely for the branching of
the system.  We have identified some parts where we could possible
speed things up for the next time we mass branch so I expect it to go
faster next time, however if our package growth rate continues the
speed ups we get may be surpassed by just branching that many more
packages.

--
Jesse Keating