Multiarch conflicts on devel packages with %doc files

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Sat Oct 20 16:18:09 UTC 2007

Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 05:07:23AM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> Does rpm complain about differing timestamps on files, while the
>> contents is identical?
>
> It doesn't complain but rpm -V shows the differences, it is better if
> the stamps are the same for common files coming from different packages.

Waiiit a minute... are you talking about the installed filesystem
timestamps, the mtime that affects the T flag on -V verify?  That sounds
like a lot of hoop-jumping to me, although I guess I can see the use for it.

If I look at e2fsprogs-devel for example, and I install x86_64, then
i386, I do get T mtime mismatches.  The timestamps on the files are
related to when the rpm was built, presumeably the time at which they
were %installed during the rpm *build*

I suppose that if you made sure that every file install kept the
original timestamp from the upstream tarball, and every generated file
pulled tricks to make sure that the mtime was something (what?) that
matched between all arches you could avoid this... but this sounds like
it needs some infrastructure to make it do-able.

-Eric