CDs DVDs or netboot. Oh my!

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Sat Oct 20 23:15:46 UTC 2007

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 14:50:39 -0600
Jonathan Steffan <jon at fedoraunity.org> wrote:

> Does anyone have the *technical* reason we are not doing CDs?

It was a combination of a drop in hardware that has CD only drives (and
still powerful enough to run Fedora), the increase in QA targets with
the introduction of all the Live spins and there was potential for
multiple choose your own adventure spins, which doing CD variants of
all of those again increases the compose times, the QA targets, the
increased duplication of content we're asking mirrors to handle, the
increase in time it would take to rsync those bits around, and it was
an experiment.  We at a project level didn't see a whole lot of yelling
and screaming about missing CD images so we did it again with F8, but
late in F8 the noise swell has reached something of a critical mass,
add to that we're only doing one choose your own adventure set so a
matching CD set just for that isn't too unreasonable.  Unfortunately
it's way too late for F8 to re-introduce another install method and
jump the size of the tree by a good chunk.  We'll likely introduce CDs
to complement the Fedora DVD install with the Alpha (should we go the
Alpha/Beta/RC/Final route) of F9.

--
Jesse Keating