Multiarch conflicts on devel packages with %doc files

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Sun Oct 21 04:14:41 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 10:31 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:

>>> Does rpm complain about differing timestamps on files, while the
>>> contents is identical?
>> Eric refers to timestamps _in_ the files, however.
> That was clear. He used doxygen's textual timestamps as example.
>
> I was referring to filesystem timestamps (stat(2)). They will differ on
> generated files in a multiarch'ed setup even if "textual timestamps"
> have been filtered/removed.

Anyway, I think the answer is: RPM won't complain at install time, near
as I can tell, but if you do rpm -V later you'll see "T" (mtime
mismatch) flags.

...and from elsewhere in the thread, unless you install carefully
(install -p) it's not just generated files that'll mismatch but even
header files that were copied into a devel rpm.

-Eric