License review for new itext version

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon Oct 22 07:10:43 UTC 2007

Laurent Rineau wrote:
> On Sunday 12 August 2007 23:01:34 Jochen Schmitt wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> in the past we have removed itext and pdftk which depends on itext from
>> the Fedora distribution due
>> license issue.
>>
>> In the new iText package itext-2.0.4 I have found a text file about the
>> licensing situation of the
>> source file coming from Sun Corporation Inc.
>>
>> I have uploaded this file for review on
>>
>> http://www.herr-schmitt.de/pub/itext/sun.txt
>>
>> I want to know, it this ok for Fedora. But I assume, that the last term
>> about usage this
>> file for nuclear weapons may be a blocker.
>
> Jochen, do you have an update of the situation? Will upstream agree to modify
> the license scheme a bit?
>
> I use pdftk randomly in my job, several times a year, but I really need it. It
> is not so nice to see one usefull package go away from Fedora.

You can try contacting Sun yourself, in the end getting license changes like
this can take a long breath, multiple contact attempts before finding someone
who is willing to discuss things, etc. So if you care, please contact Sun. And
as always, please do so in a polite and friendly manner.

Regards,

Hans