Request permission to break always use system libs rule for asc-2.0

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon Oct 22 14:41:51 UTC 2007

Hi All,

I'm currently working on upgrading asc (Advanced Strategic Command) to 2.0.1.0
When packaging asc-1.16.4.0, I also packaged SDLmm-0.1.8 and paragui-1.0.4.

While packaging SDLmm I had to backport several fixes from a copy included in
asc to the package, as SDLmm is very much dead upstream.

With 1.16.4.0, paragui was not included so the packaging of it was needed, and
I packaged the then already old version 1.0.4, as that is what asc 1.16.4.0 wanted.

Now with asc-2.0 there are yet again bugfixes to the included SDLmm-0.1.8, now
I can port these to the external SDLmm package, and patch asc to use the
external SDLmm. But since SDLmm upstream has been dead for a long time, and asc
is the only user of SDLmm, this feels rather silly. So I would like to declare
SDLmm dead for current devel (F-9 and later) and just use the included copy.

asc-2.0 now uses paragui-1.1.8, which is the latest release from 2004 (again
very dead upstream, website is down, etc.) and again has it heavily patched.
Unfortunately some idiot ran indent on there copy, so doing a diff results in
30000 changed lines. I could go through these manually and port any fixes to
the official paragui, and patch asc to use the system version. But again asc is
the only user, so doing this feels really silly (going through a 30000 lines
diff is no fun). So I would like to declare paragui dead for current devel (F-9
and later) also, and just use the included copy.

Are there any objections against this?

Regards,

Hans