Request permission to break always use system libs rule for asc-2.0

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 15:32:04 UTC 2007

Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm currently working on upgrading asc (Advanced Strategic Command) to
> 2.0.1.0 When packaging asc-1.16.4.0, I also packaged SDLmm-0.1.8 and
> paragui-1.0.4.

[snip information on SDLmm and paragui being dead upstream.  Bugfixes
  present in the copies in asc.  Merging of paragui non-trivial due to
  reformat of the source.]

> Are there any objections against this?

The options I see in decreasing order of preference are:

1) Get the asc maintainers to take over maintenance of SDLmm and paragui
2) Create paragui/paragui-devel and SDL-mm/SDL-mm-devel packages from
the asc source tarball.
3) Use a private copy of SDL-mm and paragui inside the asc binary rpm.

If you've explored #1 and are planning on doing #2 I have no objections.

If you're going to do #3 I'd like to know why you favor it over #2.

-Toshio