Should we settle on one SSL implementation?

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Mon Oct 22 23:03:46 UTC 2007

Bernardo Innocenti wrote:

> It would seem a worthwhile goal to unify SSL/TLS
> implementations like we did for spell checkers.
> Or, if it turns out to be too hard, at least it would
> be nice to their pki files.

I really don't think its our job to decide which SSL implementation is
used by the various different projects. Those projects have already
chosen which implementation they prefer - It's not for us to decide.
Also, Fedora aims to be as close to upstream as possible, so unless we
can convince the project to change their preferred SSL implementation,
I'm all for simply leaving it alone.

Compatibility layers and Fedora-only patchsets, all means added
complexity and more Fedora-only bugs.

That said, we could pick our favorite implementation and use that,
whenever a project supports multiple implementations (not sure if this
is the case for any project).

Just my 5 cents

/Thomas