Smolts.org wiki

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Tue Oct 23 19:31:00 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 14:00 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> Smolt now has an integrated wiki (http://smolts.org/wiki/) and ratings
> system.  Submit your profile with smoltSendProfile then follow the URL
> it provides.  This will allow you to rate your hardware and click over
> to the wiki for your hardware.  If you have hardware with issues and can
> fix it, please fill in the relevant wiki page.  Soon there will be a
> scanner for users to run to see if pages exist for their hardware, if a
> page exists users will be directed their so they can get the most
> up-to-date information on making it work.
>
> There's many more changes to come, stop by #smolt on irc.freenode.net if
> you're interested in more.

I'm really enthused to see this happening. I actually planned to put
something like this together, then saw the announcement on FWN.

Anyway. I'd like to see this go beyond just hardware - I'd like to take
the user of a newly installed system immediately to a page identifying
their specific system, any known errata, and the like. It'll take some
work to go from a list of devices to inversely mapping that to the
machine in use, which vendor, where to get the errata information from
the vendor, and all of that. I'll share some of my ideas with you.

Jon.