any plans to make wireless more user-friendly in Fedora 9?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Oct 23 21:23:32 UTC 2007

> On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 22:49:50 +0200
> Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
>
> > And that sucks for you and Fedora in general but I didn't dig this
> > particular hole. I'd be the first delighted person if the
> > NetworkManager team told us "we want to be the general Fedora
> > networking solution, and be enabled by default on more than the
> > desktop spin".
>

> That's the plan for F9, and why NM got a rewrite in F8.

Right; NM 0.7 and later is definitely _not_ targetted at a "very narrow
niche".  It's targeted at hopefully >= 75% of the use-cases of Fedora.

Perhaps this weekend (unless I'm still fixing bugs with NM in general)
I'll integrate the work Soren did for a system config service which will
allow connections to be brought up before you log in.  That's the only
real blocker to using NM in a GUI-less server-type environment if you
like.  Other than that, most of the bits for static IP support are in
(applet bits to follow), the options to lock things like 802.3 duplex,
speed, and other stuff are in-progress by Tambet, and most of the
wireless options work.

By the holidays, I expect we can flip NM on by default in Rawhide, even
if it's not default in F8.

Dan