any plans to make wireless more user-friendly in Fedora 9?

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Tue Oct 23 22:58:51 UTC 2007

tir, 23 10 2007 kl. 17:23 -0400, skrev Dan Williams:
> On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 16:54 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 22:49:50 +0200
> > Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
> >
> > > And that sucks for you and Fedora in general but I didn't dig this
> > > particular hole. I'd be the first delighted person if the
> > > NetworkManager team told us "we want to be the general Fedora
> > > networking solution, and be enabled by default on more than the
> > > desktop spin".
> >

> > That's the plan for F9, and why NM got a rewrite in F8.
>
> Right; NM 0.7 and later is definitely _not_ targetted at a "very narrow
> niche".  It's targeted at hopefully >= 75% of the use-cases of Fedora.
>
> Perhaps this weekend (unless I'm still fixing bugs with NM in general)
> I'll integrate the work Soren did for a system config service which will
> allow connections to be brought up before you log in.  That's the only
> real blocker to using NM in a GUI-less server-type environment if you
> like.  Other than that, most of the bits for static IP support are in
> (applet bits to follow), the options to lock things like 802.3 duplex,
> speed, and other stuff are in-progress by Tambet, and most of the
> wireless options work.

Excellent to hear, I'm looking forward to deploying this on my home
server. NM has gotten really stable for me over the past few days, so
I'm overall very pleased with things given that a solution for headless
setups is being worked on.

(un)related question, one problem I'm currently experiencing on all my
boxes that run NM is that ntp starts up before a network connection is
available. It's not a huge issue but it would be a nice thing to fix
down the line.

- David