Should we settle on one SSL implementation?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Oct 24 00:24:06 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 10:38 -0700, Robert Relyea wrote:
> Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 10:29:17AM -0700, Robert Relyea wrote:
> >
> >> If MD4 is one of the algorithms,  We have a plan for that. MD4 is
> >> fundamentally broken, has been for 10 years. There is only one legitimate
> >> use of MD4 that I know of and that is support NTLM (Microsoft's old NT
> >> authentication mechanism). In this case we need a common NTLM library that
> >> all NTLM users call. Any other use of MD4 needs to be identified and
> >>

> > There is libntlm existing:
> > http://josefsson.org/libntlm/
> >
> Thanks, We should take a look at it. At this point there are a number of
> ntlm libraries, mostly imbedded in various applications (mozilla, samba,
> etc.). This does have the advantage of being a separate package, though.

I just looked, and this was still a very poor implemention.  Unicode is
not achieved by:

static unsigned char *
strToUnicode (const char *p, size_t l, unsigned char *buf)
{
  int i = 0;

  if (l > (NTLM_BUFSIZE / 2))
    l = (NTLM_BUFSIZE / 2);

  while (l--)
    {
      buf[i++] = *p++;
      buf[i++] = 0;
    }

  return buf;
}

My strong recommendation is to use Samba's ntlm_auth and winbind (as a
client and server) to handle seamless ntlm authentication, particularly
in single-sign-on situations.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett