Multiarch crazyiness

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Wed Oct 24 16:38:15 UTC 2007

On Di Oktober 23 2007, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 10:54:35PM +0200, Laurent Rineau wrote:
> > > We prefer 32bit on those platforms.
> >
> > What if I have a x86_64 platform and nevertheless want only a 64-bits
> > kernel and almost all 32-bits apps ?
>
> Given the architecture constraints, why do you want that? Is this a real
> use case that should be given serious consideration?

This sounds interesting for me. I manage a system that runs from a compact
flash card and runs a i686 kernel. Is it possible to just install a x86_64
kernel there? It's a 64bit capable CPU. The advantage is that the traffic
counters for the network interfaces are then 64bit counters (the machine has
5 GBit Ports). So when the traffic is at full GBit speed, there is an integer
overflow around every 20 seconds with 32Bit counters. And this is the only
part, where I would need 64bit on this machine.

Regards,
Till