Self-Introduction: Denis Ovsienko and /etc/net project

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Oct 24 22:50:08 UTC 2007

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 13:45:26 +0100,
  Jonathan Underwood <jonathan.underwood at gmail.com> wrote:

> As mentioned in the thread back in 2005, the first step would be
> submitting etcnet to for inclusion as a Fedora package. That can
> happen independently of whether or not discussions of replacing
> network-scripts happens, and what the outcome of them are.
>
> FWIW, I'd quite like to see etcnet in the repo as an alternative, so
> if you want some help packaging it, drop me a line. That said, the
> thing that is very unappealing to me about its design is the multitude
> of configuration files distributed over several subdirectories. That's
> subjective though.

I think there are plusses and minuses to that. For scripting stuff, that can
be a plus. When editing by hand its a pain to have to go so many places.

When I switch to Fedora 8, I can look at trying to allow use of etcnet
by turning off the network service and turning on an etcnet service.
This would allow it to be installed without breaking other stuff. Once you
started actually using it instead of the standard network service that
would break the system-config-network tool, since it would be changing
files that aren't being used anymore. If I have success with that, I may
submit it as a package after running it for a while.