Feedback from PulseAudio 0.9.7 SVN (Was: Current problems with Rawhide)

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Fri Oct 26 14:41:56 UTC 2007

On Fri, 26.10.07 09:29, Kelly Miller (lightsolphoenix at gmail.com) wrote:

Hi!

>> It will tell you which processes have opened your audio devices
> Yeah, I managed to find the cause; PulseAudio was trying to grab the audio
> device twice, and the error came from the second attempt.  When I corrected
> the error in the configuration file, those errors went away.

So you modified PA's config file, right? The default config file
should work fine for most people.

So if I understand correctly this was not fault at all on PA's side,
but just a configuration error on your side?

> However, I can confirm that there's some kind of memory leak problem in the
> ESound protocol handling, which I narrowed down to the do_read method via
> tracking the error message I got in the source.  As I mentioned before,
> sometimes PulseAudio will jump to 50%+ memory used and then shut itself
> off; when I ran it using pulseaudio -vv, the error I got lines up with the
> do_read function's general error messages.  I can get a log of that if
> necessary as well.

Yes, please!

Most helpful would be some kind of memory trace. Best would be an
output of valgrind's massif tool.

Thank you,

Lennart