laptop hard disk etiquette

Pádraig Brady P at draigBrady.com
Fri Oct 26 15:35:25 UTC 2007

Warren Togami wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
>> Pádraig Brady (P at draigBrady.com) said:
>>> Which is about once every 4 seconds or so.
>>> As mentioned in the bug report I can turn this
>>> off by doing `hdparm -B 255 /dev/sda`
>>>
>>> Should anything be changed for the F8 release?
>>
>> Fedora doesn't change the power management values for your drives from
>> the defaults set by your BIOS.
>>
>> Bill
>>

> 1) Power off completely.
> 2) Boot up.
> 3) Run `hdparm -I /dev/sda` and see "Advanced power management level:"

# hdparm -I /dev/sda

ATA device, with non-removable media
        Model Number:       Hitachi HTS541060G9AT00
        Serial Number:      MPB3PAX5KM1E5G
        Firmware Revision:  MB3OA61A
Capabilities:
        Advanced power management level: 128 (0x80)

> What default value does your firmware or BIOS have?  notting's drive
> defaulted to 128.

The BIOS setup didn't give any interface to this value,
so I presume 128 was the default set by the drive/BIOS?

Pádraig.