problems updating and installing?

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Sun Oct 28 15:36:14 UTC 2007

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 10:26:40AM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 15:28:11 +0100
> Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
>
> > Can that happen in stable as well when lots of updates get pushed at
> > once?
>
> No, because updates are newer versions of packages, not the same exact
> nvr being replaced.
>

> > If the answer is yes: Should yum be fixed to handle this situation?
> >
> > And why is the error message for the servers that are tried after the
> > first one "[Errno 9] Requested Range Not Satisfiable"?
> >
> > Just wondering...
>
> Likely because the mirror has old repodata and new package and thus
> things are mismatched.

I saw this last night myself once, and a 'yum clean metadata' fixed it
up.  I'll remind the mirror servers to use rsync --delete-after --delay-updates which
decreases the liklihood of this kind of error.  The updated metadata
then isn't made available until the very end of the rsync transaction,
and the older RPMs pointed to by the metadata remain until the end of
the transaction too.

Thanks,
Matt

--