Might Be A Problem With NM

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Tue Oct 30 02:49:21 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 17:16 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 17:10 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:

> > > Have to agree this is most annoying, I wonder is it a blocker...
> > >
> > > So machine starts spends its time getting a dhcp address just to have it
> > > thrown away when the networkmanager service starts..
> > >
> > > sorta sucks if you don't run X always..
> >
> > This is more of an issue with installs setting the ifcfg-XXX scripts to
> > star the device at-boot.  If NM is being used, you don't really want the
> > system networking scripts to bring the device up at all, but to punt
> > that to the NM start.
>
> Or more really, we shouldn't be showing the network screen at all right
> now if you're using NetworkManager.  Unfortunately, there's no way to
> just divine that so while we have two stacks, the experience sucks a
> little.
>
> When we get to the system-wide daemon in F9, this can be fixed for
> realsies

In the meantime, would a feature request to make NetworkManager leave
the interfaces alone on startup? I'm assuming it doesn't have a startup
configuration (otherwise system-config-network can configure that
instead of ifcfg-XXX). It _COULD_ cause potential problems for systems
which require network connection prior to logging on. (In my case, I
couldn't log on to a Gnome session because the system blocked on NFS).
What about NFS-mounted $HOME dirs?
--

Richi Plana