How to generate videoaliases/foo.xinf for hwdata?

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Tue Oct 30 14:11:38 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 09:46 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 11:42 +0100, Hans Ulrich Niedermann wrote:
> > I guess that for proper integration of xorg-x11-drv-radeonhd into Fedora
> > the package should ship a /usr/share/hwdata/videoaliases/radeonhd.xinf file.
>
> Only if the driver is at a stability level where giving it to users by
> default is the right thing.  It's probably worth coordinating with ajax
> on it, also, as having two drivers (avivo and radeonhd) saying they
> drive the same hardware is going to lead to less than predictable
> results

Not a huge problem, actually, since the avivo driver doesn't ship an
xinf file yet.  But yeah, if you ship one, then kudzu will match devices
with the IDs listed in it to the driver named at the end of the file,
which means you'll be set up at install time with that driver.

Which is, in fact, the reason avivo doesn't have an xinf file.

> > Is the xinf file format documented somewhere? Are there tools to create it?

Not really, no.

An example line would be:

alias pcivideo:v00008086d00007121sv*sd*bc*sc*i* intel   # i810

pcivideo is a tag understood by kudzu to mean that this line describes
an X driver.  The lowercase letters (v, d, sv, sd, bc, sc, i) are the
various PCI ID fields: vendor, device, subvendor, subdevice, base class,
subclass, and ASIC revision.  Normally you only need to use the first
two.  Then the third word is the driver name you want for that chip.
Comments are optional but are greatly appreciated.

The * wildcards are like shell, not like regex.  Numeric values _must_
be in uppercase hexadecimal; don't try to specify nvidia hardware with
000010de or you will be sadly disappointed.  Multiple matches are
possible, last match wins, but it's best if you don't have to rely on
that accidental feature.