RadeonHD driver status

Hans Ulrich Niedermann hun at n-dimensional.de
Tue Oct 30 15:55:40 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 08:11:44 -0500
> Mike Chambers <mike at miketc.com> wrote:

>> How has this driver been coming?  I thought I saw it in rawhide at one
>> point and then removed?  I had heard this is the newer driver being
>> worked on for updated ATI cards including R500 and whatever else?
>> Will this be (re)included in the near future?
>
> radeonhd was pulled from F8 due to it not really working.  It will
> reappear in Fedora 9's rawhide.  Already in Fedora 8 is the avivo
> driver which is an effort at supporting the same card set that started
> before radeonhd.  Avivo is benefiting from ATI opening the
> documentation and currently works a slight bit better than radeonhd.
> However neither are in a state where we want to enable them by default.

IMHO, current xorg-x11-drv-radeonhd could be made available via the F8
updates repos. Yes, it has a few issues, but then it does work for many
people, no software is without bugs, and no one is forced to install it.

OK, I do have to admit that I have never run the avivo driver :)

Now follows the part with the issues I had planned to raise after the F8
release has stabilized the koji tag/CVS branch/yum repo mappings -- but
while we're talking about current state of affairs I can't omit them. :)

I have been regularly doing snapshots of the radeonhd driver, but the F8
block seems to have propagated to the dist-f9 tag, so there have not
been any koji builds after 2007-10-17:

    http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=5156
    BuildError: package xorg-x11-drv-radeonhd is blocked for tag dist-f9

FWIW, Stefan Dirsch at SUSE has been trying to build F7 and FC6 RPMs
using the openSUSE build service. If we can make our own package
available for F7 and FC6, he'd like to stop his efforts on building what
I guess is the openSUSE RPM for Fedora. Having Fedora building Fedora
RPMs sounds like good idea to to me, at least.

--
Hans Ulrich Niedermann