KDE logout options with F8

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Oct 31 02:32:59 UTC 2007

> Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 07:44 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >
> >> Besides my point was that if users select GNOME they should get GDM and
> >> if users select KDE, they should get KDM. Is anyone willing to respond
> >> to that?
> >
> > Sure, here you go: a display manager is a security sensitive piece of
> > code. Shipping multiple just because their names start with a letter you
> > don't like is not a smart move, because you end up doing twice the
> > security errata.
>
> We are already shipping multiple display managers in our repository and
> KDM is already the default if you use KDE spin of Fedora. Only in the
> Fedora DVD, is GDM the default. The security argument only applies if we
> aren't shipping the package in the repository at all. As it stands, we
> have to provide a security errata if there are security issues in KDM
> anyway. So what matters here is only what is the default.

Well, it still applies, as an argument for not shipping it in the
repository at all...

> If you read why this thread started, it is because there is a regression
> in functionality if GDM is the default in KDE (ie) users lose the
> shutdown, hibernation buttons etc. Dismissing that regression by saying
> that it merely because of a letter is ignoring a actual problem.

Yeah, and if you read earlier in this thread, somebody said that the
functionality used to work with gdm and kde in earlier releases, so we
are looking at a bug in either gdm or kde or both. Why not just fix that
bug ?

How exactly did we get from "there is a bug in the interaction between
gdm and kde" to "omg kde uses a program that starts with g, that can't
be correct" ?