Summary of the 2007-10-30 Packaging Committee meeting

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Oct 31 20:20:38 UTC 2007

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 04:00:15PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Jason L Tibbitts III (tibbs at math.uh.edu) said:
> > * Standardizing the set of virtual provides for various servers:
> >   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/ServerProvides
> >   * Accepted (5 - 0)
> >   * Voting for: spot rdieter abadger1999 tibbs f13
> >   * There is still tweaking to be done, and because this will require
> >     changes to several packages, FPC is asking that this be driven via
> >     the feature process for F-9.

I am not sure that it is needed. My plan would be to propose patches for
the package spec files to have them Provides server(smtp) and when it is
ready for all, provide patches for the dependent packages. The Provides
is already removed from ssmtp, so this only makes 4+4 packages to
modify, that seems to me not to require to set up a features page.

I would like to have it done way before F-9, and even before the alpha.

I am not violently against going through the features process, but I
don't think that this is needed here.

> Changing these concerns me - what about not-built-in-Fedora packages that
> have the old dependencies?

My proposal is to keep the old dependencies as Provides as long as we
want backward compatibility (at least in F-9), but don't add more, and
also set all the Requires according to the proposal.

--
Pat