IcedTea Plugin not working on F8 x86_64

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 23:09:48 UTC 2007

> > > MOZ_LIB_DIR being defined as in F7.
> > So its the new $MOZ_PLUGIN_DIR definition that is causing the problem here.
> >
> > Is -wrapped something 64bit specific? Or is plugins-wrapped always
> > going to be available on all arches?  I wonder if there are any other
> > plugin packages which actually get burned by the change in plugin
> > path.
>
> plugins-wrapped is searched if nspluginwrapper is installed. I suspect
> running 'mozilla-plugin-config -i -f' (as root) would fix the original
> issue.

I was having problems with the java (and swfdec-mozilla too) not
working on x86_64 (yes all 64 bit packages).

For the java if I went to about:plugins it was listed. If I went to
www.java.com it and selected the detect option it detected version
1.7.0 so that looked OK, but a couple of java sites I use on occasion
would come back with errors saying java wasn't installed.

For swfdec (yes I know its not part of Fedora) it wouldn't even detect
it in about:plugins.

I tried the above and got the following:

[root at euuklonw7300b1n ~]# mozilla-plugin-config -i -f
*** NSPlugin Viewer  *** ERROR: libxpcom.so: cannot open shared object
file: No such file or directory
[root at euuklonw7300b1n ~]# ldconfig -v | grep libxp
[root at euuklonw7300b1n ~]#

A rpm gave me
[root at euuklonw7300b1n ~]# rpm -ql firefox| grep libxpcom
/usr/lib64/firefox-2.0.0.8/components/libxpcom_compat_c.so
/usr/lib64/firefox-2.0.0.8/libxpcom.so
/usr/lib64/firefox-2.0.0.8/libxpcom_compat.so
/usr/lib64/firefox-2.0.0.8/libxpcom_core.so
[root at euuklonw7300b1n ~]#

So I added a /etc/ld.so.conf.d/firefox.conf file with
/usr/lib64/firefox-2.0.0.8/ in it. Ran a ldconfig and restarted
firefox and it all started working.

So I'm not sure if there's suppose to be links for libxpcom.so or
something else or whether the plugins have issues. Let me know if you
want more details.

Peter