Please modify your OpenGL using games to use opengl-games-utils

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Tue Oct 2 15:05:38 UTC 2007

Ian Chapman wrote:
> Doncho N. Gunchev wrote:
>
>>> for all games just by exporting the environment variable.  Since you
>>> are asking for the games packages to use this by default, there needs
>>> to be a per-user way to disable the script action on multi-user
>>> configurations.
>

>> Why not a checkbox - don't show this warning again? If checked - touch
>> a file (say ~/.no_video_warning) and don't bother the user again.
>>
>> I think the user should be able to abort the game start, to start anyway
>> and to start anyway and never be bothered again.
>>

> +1
>
> To be fair I haven't see the script (yet) but that sounds a like a
> sensible suggestion to me. The user should have the option of continuing
> regardless, if they so choose, and not to be bothered again. This should
> be as simple as possible and done graphically, ideally at launch time.

There are 2 issues with these train of thoughts:
1) There really is no reason to want to run fullscreen OpenGL programs without
    hardware acceleration, they will not be usable <period>. If you don't
    believe me, try it!
2) The current wrapper uses zenity, so it cannot do the advenced kind of
    dialogs with a checkbox people ask for.

All in all I believe less is more, so that things are fine as is, the menu
entries all launch foo-wrapper, if a user _really_ think he / she knows better,
all she needs todo is to launch foo, or to modify the menu entry and strip the
wrapper.

Regards,

Hans