Please modify your OpenGL using games to use opengl-games-utils

Doncho N. Gunchev gunchev at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 07:13:28 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 2007-10-02 18:05:38 Hans de Goede wrote:
> Ian Chapman wrote:

> >> Why not a checkbox - don't show this warning again? If checked - touch
> >> a file (say ~/.no_video_warning) and don't bother the user again.
> >>
> >> I think the user should be able to abort the game start, to start anyway
> >> and to start anyway and never be bothered again.
> >>

> > +1
> >
> > To be fair I haven't see the script (yet) but that sounds a like a
> > sensible suggestion to me. The user should have the option of continuing
> > regardless, if they so choose, and not to be bothered again. This should
> > be as simple as possible and done graphically, ideally at launch time.
> >

> There are 2 issues with these train of thoughts:
> 1) There really is no reason to want to run fullscreen OpenGL programs without
>     hardware acceleration, they will not be usable <period>. If you don't
>     believe me, try it!

I know, from a long time. Users *should* be able to see it with their own eyes.

> 2) The current wrapper uses zenity, so it cannot do the advenced kind of
>     dialogs with a checkbox people ask for.

Well... improvise:

ans=$(zenity  --list  --text "Your video..." --radiolist  --column "Pick"  \
--column "Option" FALSE "Run" TRUE "Don't run" FALSE "Never run such programs" \
 FALSE "Always run regardless"); echo $ans

Doesn't this look OK?

> All in all I believe less is more, so that things are fine as is, the menu
> entries all launch foo-wrapper, if a user _really_ think he / she knows better,
> all she needs todo is to launch foo, or to modify the menu entry and strip the
> wrapper.

I wish you were correct, but most users have no idea they can edit their menu,
let alone what wrapper is. If I do such wrapper, will you get it in fedora?
I can also make it open terminal and use text mode dialog if zenity is not
installed or even fallback to plain text questions. The translation should be
no problem too (echo $"Translatable text" AFAIK)[1].

[1] - http://tiswww.case.edu/php/chet/bash/bashref.html#SEC13

--
Regards,
  Doncho N. Gunchev, GPG key ID: 0EF40B9E, Key server: pgp.mit.edu