Distributing Fedora packages under GPLv2 3(b)

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Sat Oct 6 01:06:52 UTC 2007

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 02:14:01PM -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 10/5/07, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
> > IMHO if we go that way we should just never purge koji srpms during 3
> > years. Koji is already hugely useful as an archive of fedora builds.
>
> If we can commit to not purging koji srpms, that makes things very
> easy moving forward. But I'm not sure we can commit to that.  My toy
> script assumes we can't commit to that and we have to regenerate from
> cvs and cvs look-aside cache of the source.

I'd believe we can commit to keeping 4+ years of source code in a SCCM
before we could commit to keeping 4+ years of package builds online in
koji.  (GPLv2 is somewhat unclear if the 3 years is from the first
distribution, or the last...)  The koji archive with lots of
incremental builds would be many times the size of the SCCM storage
needs.

Fair enough to look in a koji repo first for a SRPM, then fall back to
building one from the SCCM.

--
Matt Domsch
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux