Using xdg-utils instead of htmlview, other hardwired apps

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Sat Oct 6 14:58:25 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-06 at 10:38 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:

> I think in cases where xdg-open doesn't provide a satisfactory solution, we
> can stick with htmlview.  And htmlview could be internally changed to use
> xdg-open for cases where it is passed an argument which would make it honor
> non-GNOME desktop settings better too.

What do we win again by doing these silly wrappers around wrappers ?
Remember, the xdg-open style utilities are meant to have some unified
way to start things for _third party_ applications. Then some people
came up with the agenda to push these wrapper scripts for use inside the
desktops, which does not really make a lot of sense.