gdm Create User

Bill Crawford billcrawford1970 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 16:18:03 UTC 2007

On 06/10/2007, Richi Plana <myfedora at richip.dhs.org> wrote:

> Well, that certainly sounds like a smart system ... and I'm all for
> computers trying to be smarter than their users (if they can do it
> successfully). But why add a timeout? I'm assuming finding out a list of
> users from the console isn't a security issue (since they're displayed
> as a list by GDM) so why not make the computer think one of two things
> has happened: 1) the user mistyped the username or 2) the user wants to
> create a new user. The system could ask which and ask for the root
> password or directory administrator's password if it was a request for
> the creation of users.

Because if you mistyped, you don't want some dialog popping up, or any
kind of other UI, appearing in place of the username and password
boxes you're about to fill in, again, hopefully with the correct
username and password this time :) without a reasonable delay (given
that someone who's expecting to be allowed to create a guest account
will either wait, or ask the owner of the machine what to do next, or
...).

Actually, how about just having a "create as new account" button
appear, but NOT FOCUSSED BY DEFAULT along with the login failure
message?