FC-6: automake-1.9 on ppc

Stepan Kasal skasal at redhat.com
Tue Oct 9 16:10:53 UTC 2007

Hello,

On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 09:56:38AM +0200, Alain PORTAL wrote:
> Previously, I "BuildRequires: automake", but it seems I made a mistake and I
> removed it...

but you should understand that this would break if automake were
upgraded to 1.10.  I do not think this is a real possibility in FC-6,
so your solution is adequate here.

But for general development, let me remind that there are only two
safe options:

1) either you rely on the autotools-generated files packed in the
tarball, in which case you do not need to BuildRequire anything.

2) Or you do refresh the autotools generated stuff fully, so you need
at least:

BuildRequire: autoconf automake
%build
aclocal
autoconf
automake

The aclocal collects various *.m4 files so you often need
	aclocal -I m4
for *.m4 files in the m4/ subdir of the tarball, and you often need
to BuildRequire libfoo-devel, if libfoo is used by your package and
if it contains a /usr/share/aclocal/foo.m4

As you see, the second option can get a bit complicated, so if the
only problem is a time stamp mistake in the upstream tarball, it
might be a better idea to make the upstream to realease a fixed
tarball, or find the bug and patch it by a "touch -r".

Happy hacking,
	Stepan